A blog exploring health as a form of wealth
Ever wonder why it can feel hard to let go of extra weight?
Even if you try to eat less or exercise more, weight doesn’t budge - and you may even continue to put on more body fat.
It doesn’t seem logical.
But it is logical if you look at the fuel source being used (or not used).
Most people gradually become ‘sugar burners’ as they age - efficient using carbs for fuel and storing the rest…as fat.
Some “go keto” and become fat-adapted - efficient at using dietary fat for fuel, but end up storing any carbs that accidentally come into the body…as fat.
The solution isn’t to choose a carb diet or a fat diet, but to choose both.
If we were to compare your body to a car, you would either be a gas car (fat fuel), electric car (carb fuel), or hybrid car (both).
Is your body a gas car?
- long, sustained energy
- a little slower to speed up but can go the distance
- doesn’t need to fill up on fuel (meals & snacks) very often
- comfortable with 2-3 larger meals/day
- could skip a meal occasionally without much discomfort, shaking, or hangry-ness
Is your body an electric car?
- short bursts of energy followed by lulls
- cravings - always looking for the next plugin (pasta, bread, chips, candy)
- needs to refuel often (several meals a day + a couple of snacks)
- the thought of skipping a meal sounds crazy
OR - is your body a hybrid car?
- it can burn both fat & carbs for fuel depending on the situation
- at night it burns body fat
- after meals it burns carbs
- if it’s necessary to skip a meal, it can flip back into burning body fat
- it’s resilient, adaptable, and prepared to use the best, most efficient fuel source for the trip withou running out or over-storing energy
Being the equivalent of a hybrid car is called “Metabolic Flexibility.”
It takes intentional cueing with sunlight, food & movement timing to nudge your body into this place.
Here are 3 examples how to teach your body to do that:
Go slowly and give your body time to adapt.
This is the most healthy and sustainable way to maintain ideal weight and energy over the years, which is why it's one of 4 pathways to health that I teach in the WellthPLAN Strategy Workshop.
If you want to become more metabolically flexible and start burning stored body fat as fuel, reach out to me. I will ask you a few questions to see if it’s a fit.
~ the girl named Stevyn